[Esip-sustainabledm] Interested in sustainable data management issues?

Kerstin A Lehnert lehnert at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 2 19:21:17 EST 2016

Hi Nancy,

I am definitely interested to participate in the discussions. Obviously
it would be critical to include the Council of Data Facilities.

Kerstin

On 3/2/16 14:45 PM, Nancy Hoebelheinrich via Esip-sustainabledm wrote:

> Hello, all:
>
> Late last fall a number of representatives from various data
> repositories, data service providers, and others participated in a two
> and one half day workshop in Tempe, AZ, sponsored and funded by NSF,
> to discuss collaborative strategies for sustained environmental data
> management.  As an introduction, see the following quote from a
> briefing document participants received before the workshop:
>
> “Many environmental data repositories were initiated to fulfill
> specific needs or objectives, i.e. archiving and disseminating data
> from a project, network of research sites, institution, funding
> source, to accompany paper publications, or more recently, as data
> papers. This initiative was funded with the goal of exploring how we
> might develop this network of repositories in a way that will produce
> new collaboration and curation strategies that also cater to the
> currently underserved single investigators and move environmental data
> from ‘available’ to ‘usable’, in order to accelerate scientific inquiry.
>
> With this goal in mind we are bringing together data curators from a
> range of environmental research fields, data aggregators, tool
> developers, computer scientists and environmental scientists (both
> data providers and users) for an informed dialog which draws on our
> collective experience managing data and repositories.”
>
> Several of the topics surfaced during the workshop garnered enough
> interest from participants to request that discussions continue under
> the auspices of a new ESIP cluster.  The three topics deemed of
> highest importance to discuss further included:
>
> *Conducting a Landscape Analysis and Gaps for Environmental Data
> Repositories*
>
> *Defining a Return on Investment (ROI) of Data Repositories for Society*
>
> *Describing a Common Technical Vision*
>
> **
>
> Because many of the participants interested in discussing the ROI
>  issues planned to attend the ESIP Winter 2016 meeting, and remote
> participation was possible, a breakout session was conducted to
> continue discussions on the ROI issue. We made some progress toward
> our goal of coming to agreement on what a return on investment would
> be for data repositories, but we know that we still have far to go.
> We also thought that it might be a very good idea to broaden our
> discussions to include all those present at Tempe who might be
> interested, as well as other ESIP member organizations, and possibly
> EarthCube or other science focused groups.  As a matter of fact, there
> was some discussion about looking for funding to establish an
> EarthCube RCN on Data Repository Sustainability for this effort,
> especially if the effort included discussion of some of the other
> topics surfaced at the Tempe meeting.  This message is being sent to
> see if you are interested in the ROI topic, but also to solicit input
> [...]

Dr. Kerstin Lehnert
Director, Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance
Director, EarthChem
President, IGSN e.V.

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Columbia University