[Esip-sustainabledm] The ROI topic & some pre-ESIP Summer Mtg prep requests

Nancy Hoebelheinrich nhoebel at kmotifs.com
Wed Mar 30 13:22:37 EDT 2016

Hello, all:
Following discussions on the last monthly call of the ESIP-DM sustainability
cluster, a number of us have been thinking about how to move forward in our
discussions related to ROI (return on investment) for data repositories.  We
are submitting an abstract for a combination reporting and working session
for the Summer meeting, with the main objectives being to see if we could
scope a proposal within the meeting for a planning grant to establish a
framework by which we could really study the ROI question in depth and come
up with ROI criteria and measurement methods.  In addition, we hope to
identify likely funding sources to which we could direct a planning grant
proposal.  To facilitate the achievement of these objectives, and reduce the
danger of only rehashing what we've already discussed, we thought we'd see
if those interested in this topic would be game to do some preparatory
research and discussions before the Summer meeting.

Specifically, we propose that we schedule an extra meeting (extra from the
regular esip_dmsustainability cluster calls) once a month for the next 3
months where we do the following:

.          Ask a number of volunteers to read one of the 6 resources listed
on the wiki page for the ROI interest group, and give a 15 minute report on
it on an April, May or June call that summarizes the findings, but also
answers the questions we raised in our discussion at the ESIP Winter
meeting.  Following the 15 minute report on the call, we'd open the floor
for another 15 minutes of  questions and discussion.  We'd plan to have two
of those summary reports on each call.

.          In addition, the volunteer would commit to giving a 5 minute
summary of the issues at the beginning of the Summer session to catch
newcomers to the issues and the findings from the reports, and/or prepare a
one page handout before the meeting.  The questions to address as part of
the summaries is listed below.

.

  H The link to the ROI reference page is here:
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wiki.esipfed.org_index.
php_Return-5Fon-5FInvestment-5FROI-5FReferences&d=BQMFAg&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBP
lktOQ&r=gOS4AvQiX2wSBJpWuVPQaJWG9icrhpBBy_VBAIthwH0&m=_-fCcUpQd2eOobxDFE2hj_
DgAjxB2bQhFs_0nN6iKdw&s=oa4OfQuh85wBJpkZ685XOqtBPvz0_KXtpnvtEV7F11c&e=>
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Return_on_Investment_ROI_References

So  far, we have the following volunteers, but need more:

.   Need volunteer for the first on the list, the Ember white paper (Rebecca
Koskela, would you be interested in taking this one?)

.   Ruth will do #2 on the list:  the OECD Principles

.   Nancy H. will do #3 on the list:  the Sustainable Business Models paper
by Ingrid Dillo, et al

.   Need volunteer for #4 o the list:  Cost Recovery Options from RDA-WDS
interest group

.   Need volunteer for #5 on the list, the Dr. Simon Hodson Sustainable
Business Models report

.   Anne Wilson will do #6 on the list:  the JISC report from March 2014

.   We need someone to do a cursory review of possible funding sources for a
planning grant.

The list of questions to address as part of a review has been adapted from
the meeting notes for the last two discussions, as follows:

.   How is value (to stakeholders) defined / discussed?

.   What are the definitions / explanations / categories of repository
stakeholders?

.   How were similarities among data repositories defined / discussed?

.   How were differences among data repositories defined / discussed?

.   What, if any, were the metrics used to measure the value(s) returned to
repository stakeholders?

.   What do the references say about the reason(s) for caring about this
topic?

Please let us know what you think about this approach, if you'd be willing
to volunteer and then fill out the doodle poll at the link below to find a
time for a call during the months of April, May & June.  Thank you!  PLEASE
ANSWER THE DOODLE POLL FROM A DAY / TIME POINT OF VIEW with an eye to
finding a day/time that could be used for the next 3 months:
http://doodle.com/poll/5qwgky45arapdw2p .

We appreciate your interest in this topic!!

Regards,

Nancy, Anne & Ruth

 <https://kmotifs.com/> _LOGOhiResTRANSPARENT_4800pxRGB

Nancy J. Hoebelheinrich