[Esip-usability] Invitation to Comment and Participate in ESIP Usability Cluster's Winter Meeting Session Proposal

Sophie Hou hou at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 7 12:25:43 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

As a result of this month's meeting, we would like to propose a session at
the Winter Meeting to demonstrate some of the usability evaluation
techniques with real-life data archives/repositories scenarios. The
following is the current revision of the session's abstract, and we plan to
demonstrate paper prototyping, heuristic evaluation, and usability testing
in the session.  Additionally, Madison and I are both likely to offer case
studies from USGS and NCAR respectively for the session.

If you have any suggestions/comments regarding the usability techniques
that we should demonstrate and/or if you would like to propose a case study
for the session, please could you help in letting Madison and me know by
Friday, October 21st?

Thank you very much for your help,
Madison and Sophie

==============================

*Session Title: *
Demonstration of Applying Selected Usability Evaluation Techniques to Data
Repositories' Interfaces/Services

*Session Abstract: *
Over the past few months, the ESIP Usability Cluster has been exploring
usability principles and discussing how User Interface (UI)/ User
Experience (UX) evaluation techniques can be employed to enhance Earth
science data repositories. The Usability Cluster would like to host a
session at the ESIP Winter Meeting demonstrating three different UI/UX
evaluation techniques: paper prototyping, usability testing, and heuristic
evaluation, and applying these techniques to real-life data repository
interfaces/services. Three different repository websites will be evaluated,
one for each UI/UX technique, to show that these techniques need not be
overly time consuming or burdensome to yield immediate,complementary
results.

(we will add more information about the case studies once we have collected
and consolidated feedback from the Cluster).