[Esip-sample-curation] ESIP Physical Samples Curation Cluster at AGU 2022

Stanley, Valerie val.stanley at oregonstate.edu
Wed Nov 30 16:00:57 EST 2022

Hi all,

I am following up on some action items from our previous monthly check-in, and bringing you all up to speed for AGU 2022!

FOR AGU 2022:
There will be a presentation related to our ESIP cluster's current project at AGU 2022 (here is a link for our abstract<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/1187168> on 16 December, in the oral session on FAIR/CARE efforts for samples<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/meetingapp.cgi/Session/176197>). The goal of our presentation is awareness for this project (what is it, what does it do, how does it help), emphasizing the community effort. It will also be a good introduction to the group as more broadly. The slides are to be submitted by December 7th. Please note that I will be sending around the draft slides in a couple of days for review.

Follow-up items:
Please see below for a reminder on who is working on which sections of our Sample Sharing Guidelines, ahead of AGU and the upcoming ESIP session in January 2023. If anyone would like to jump in on a section, either to add content or as a reviewer, please do (thank you!), just let me know and I'll add your name to the notes. For those of you who are leads - are there any particular sections to feature in our presentation (feeling good about it, or want help?). Also, if anyone would be interested in meeting up at AGU to continue this work, please do reach out and we can coordinate.  And as a head's up we are planning on very brief update/readouts at ESIP Jan meeting on these sections and templates.

·         Next steps for Sample Sharing Guidelines<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1JnoWC9IE9r4LIa6mYeCjehuMJ6GARU3LDobpau9waz4%2Fedit%23heading%3Dh.k7ajtid4jbww&data=05%7C01%7Cval.stanley%40oregonstate.edu%7C04ca8a109082450a0d4408dab6b1ac3f%7Cce6d05e13c5e4d6287a84c4a2713c113%7C0%7C0%7C638023173087715439%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=O7jryJN4wRFL246BVXle83haG49vSPlmrwZ3zaUtNDQ%3D&reserved=0>

o   Links to feedback from July 2022 ESIP Session

§  Data Availability (conceptual)<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T2uHammuvlLmSEB95jWpDPAjIP441kLLv6jP0_c4RbE/edit?usp=sharing>

§  Peer Review<https://docs.google.com/document/d/14APBI9Wv5GjcNIERpjtzKB67QOUYmyiZ77ufuiaWvVA/edit?usp=sharing>

§  Data Availability (practical)<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s-h4cnsxOBqYEBxuuz9fqWzxBkx9ti2kL0zIp4euOF8/edit?usp=sharing>

§  For virtual participants<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w9mOiSYcdgxXug_dbO3aBiKJNcBGCM0LBeTzv1RcsDg/edit#heading=h.hts5kc2neew7>

·         Sections to work on (reminder to pull in content from July ESIP meeting session<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15NWG5JXiBkGIAb_kiFtbFcwkwMGCr9GHTXqdCot0aEA/edit>):

o   Peer review/paper acceptance - Liz Adams, Joan Damerow

o   Data Availability (conceptual and practical, can separate if needed) -- Andrea Thomer, Liz Adams, Joan Damerow

o   Preamble and definition of sample/specimen for this doc - Andrea Thomer

o   Guidelines for identifiers - Joan Damerow

o   Defining/selecting repository (physical and metadata) - completed by Val Stanley and Sarah Ramdeen, to be reviewed by Andrea Thomer

o   Checklist - completed by Adam Mansur, to be reviewed by Val Stanley and Joan Damerow

o   Templates - to be completed/not yet edited

§  How to cite a sample, inline? Work to be done here - what about large numbers of samples?

·         Comment from Andrea, re: credit for repositories: Try to include both physical repository and access point, e.g. "samples from Johnson Space Center accessed via SESAR"

§  Linking samples with related data/citations - Joan Damerow

Thanks everyone!
Val

Val Stanley, Antarctic Core Curator, Marine and Geology Repository
Oregon State University | College of Earth, Oceanic, and Atmospheric Sciences
4700 SW Research Way | Corvallis, OR 97333 | +1 (541) 737-8210