[Esip-sample-curation] Updates on Cluster outputs: GSA AGU flyer, checklist, paper

Joan Damerow JoanDamerow at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 10 16:37:16 EDT 2023

Hi all,

For those of you who have not been in recent cluster meetings, we wanted to
provide you with an update on our activities and organize our next few
meetings through this year to reach our goals.

We are working on three outputs currently, with the ultimate goal of
completing a draft of our paper by the end of November and submitting it
soon after that.  Here are links and a proposed timeline for these outputs:

   - *GSA/AGU flyer:* 4 things you can do now to support Open Science for
   Earth Science samples
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/13pLEqOKTDVCqYh9zpdDGuvWvCFlS208XKl66jC3LVi8/edit#heading=h.1ozxylb6aae6>
   (First version published in ESIP Figshare with DOI by GSA: Oct 13)
   - *Author Checklist: *Support Open Science for Research Using Physical
   Samples
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PbLW3SUtr_HZZ_4XnUIZN3dezsIZnR7V9H4ot7prwAg/edit#heading=h.qtqnd262s2d2>
   (First version published: Oct 31)
   - *Paper draft *(*ADD YOUR NAME* as an author if you are interested in
   contributing at the top of this document): Opening Doors to Physical
   Sample Data Discovery, Integration, and Citation
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BAQYAxZMlVCUPxtuA2iqe7s7xK_0bW9eqm3T-lcKRu4/edit>
   (Complete draft: Nov 28)

We are asking now that anyone who is interested in contributing to the
paper, to put your name in the list of authors at the paper link above; we
have listed lead authors and welcome more if anyone is interested in
helping shape the direction of this work. We ask that all contributing
authors help us write portions of the paper (particularly on use cases if
applicable), and/or to review and edit the checklist and paper.  We can
then keep you up to date on the progress and how you can contribute. We
will also reach out to anyone who indicated interest in contributing to the
guidelines and paper from the form that we sent out previously.

We are going to change up our schedule moving forward to include two
writing sprints for the paper where we work on writing together for 2-3
hours. One next week (Oct 19, 8 am - 11 am PT) and one in November (link to
poll if you are interested in contributing
<https://www.when2meet.com/?21821957-UQhgc> during a sprint, I can add more
options if needed).  We will cancel the Oct 24 sample cluster meeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Thank you,
Joan

--
Joan E. Damerow