[Esip-semanticharmonization] [EXT]Re: ESIP summer session for Semantic Harmonization?

Brandon Whitehead whiteheadb at landcareresearch.co.nz
Fri Apr 9 17:43:05 EDT 2021

Hi,

My comments in line below.

On 4/10/21 3:06 AM, Todd-Brown, Kathe wrote:
> No current plans for summer session on my end. I will say that the Soils
> group seems to be having trouble figuring out an actual action plan.

> All this is to say that I would be very interested in other people’s
> thoughts on how to structure community events/engagement around semantic
> tool application, curation, extension, and creation.

It's really tough without explicit funding. One option may be to use the
SM session as a working session for the properties you have highlighted
in previous meetings (soil bulk density and others).

More on this below.

> *From: *Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Friday, April 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM

> Here are some of my thoughts.
>
> We have talked about kicking off some type collaborative
> semantic harmonization activities with the Bio, Marine and/or Soil clusters.
Each probably has its advantages.

> The Marine has probably been talked about the longest and just had a
> meeting scheduled Thursday.  Is that still active and if so did anyone
> attend that?

I have a conflict during that time period so I'm typically not able to
attend.

>    The Soil cluster is currently the one I personally attend and see
> most activity in but not using a semantic harmonization approach.

This is an interesting observation.  I think this is exactly what they
are doing.  The main difference I see is that group is starting from a
plethora of data artifacts that require some interoperability versus
attempting to reconcile domain knowledge --- which they will need to do
once they choose a path (as Kathe has highlighted).

I've had to be away for a time so perhaps this view is out-dated.

>   If we are talking about surfacing this at the Summer Session after we
> start with a cluster we might have progress to show.
>
> But given scant resources we might only have time to show progress with
> one of these cluster areas.  We might need some low hanging fruit to
> start with such as an agreed upon list of 20-30 terms with working
> definitions to start and an Ontology to relate these to.

This is an option.  Is there time to make sufficient progress?

Another option would be to treat the SM session as the first stage in an
ontology building workshop.  In my experience, this would mean getting
as many soil'd folks ( :) ) in the 'room' as possible and record their
discussion about the concepts they are interested in and how they are
related.  We can use a virtual white board and/or CMap (or like) tools
to try and capture in situ --- if there are people willing to do this.
After the session we will have a recorded archive which can be
referenced as we strive to formalize what was described in the session.

I used the soil science domain here as the example but this same style
of session could apply to Marine or Bio.

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM Kai Blumberg via
> Esip-semanticharmonization <esip-semanticharmonization at lists.esipfed.org
> <mailto:esip-semanticharmonization at lists.esipfed.org>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe we want to invite some of those folks @Brandon Whitehead
>     <mailto:WhiteheadB at landcareresearch.co.nz> or others have in mind to
>     our regular meeting on the 14th, in order to discuss planning such a
>     session?
Yes, absolutely this^
I would be happy to take the lead, however, now that the clocks have
changed the Semantic Harmonization meetings become really difficult for
me to attend.  I believe I can make the necessary arrangements long
term, but next week's meeting may still be problematic.

If there is interest in the soils domain then this becomes less of an
issue as Gary and Mark have also been participating.

Cheers,
/Brandon
------
Brandon Whitehead