[ESIP-all] Examples of federal funding opportunities that mention data management costs

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Wed Jun 10 13:49:09 EDT 2009

Hi Ken,

This following NRC recommendation doesn't  provide the specific
guidance you seek, but it's a reference-able source that can reinforce
the argument to include money for data management:

> Recommendation 17. In general, the presumption in environmental
> research should be that "data worth collecting are worth saving."
> Funding agencies therefore should consider stipulating that all
> research applicants include in their research plans well-conceived and
> adequately funded arrangements for data management and for the
> ultimate
> disposition of their data. While it is impossible to establish
> universal
> guidelines for funding, the committee's investigations suggest that
> setting aside 10 percent of the total project cost for data management
> would not be unreasonable. These cost estimates should include
> adequate funds for preparing thorough metadata that serve the needs of
> all potential users. In order for these requirements to be fully
> effective, however, the agencies must adequately support active
> archivesand
> long-term data repositories. (See also Recommendation 12.)

NRC (National Research Council). 1995. Finding the Forest in the
Trees: The Challenge of Combining Diverse Environmental Data.
Washington, DC: National Acadamies Press .

Cheers,

-m.