[ESIP-all] [Spg-announce] Request for Comments: NASA use of ICARTT file format

Ullman, Richard E. (GSFC-5860) richard.e.ullman at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 6 10:57:54 EST 2009

Dear NASA Stakeholder,

The NASA Earth Science Data Systems Working Group (ESDSWG) for Standards is conducting a review of the ICARTT file format specification that is proposed for wider use within the NASA Earth science community.  Before we can make a recommendation, the Standards Process Group (SPG) needs to understand the extent of experience, good or bad, with respect to use, implementation or suitability of ICARTT among stakeholders.  ICARTT, designed originally for an airborne data campaign has been used as a data file format for airborne, mobile and ground-based field studies.

The scope of the present review is the "implementation experience" and/ or the "operational suitability" of the ICARTT format specification.  We have forwarded these questions to you because you may  have experience with this specification. Please respond with comments as relevant.

If you have experience in using the ICARTT file format (e.g., as a data provider, data consumer, or software developer or user), or in supporting software tools, we'd like to hear from you. If you have tried to work with the ICARTT file format but abandoned the effort for whatever reason, we'd like to hear about that experience as well. We'd also like to hear from those with experiences with other file formats used to store and dist
ribute similar data files about the appropriateness of the proposed specification.

The SPG is charged with recommending data systems standards that will enhance interoperation of Earth science data systems within the agency and with partnering organizations.  We do this through open review of standards submitted by community stakeholders for endorsement by NASA.  It is absolutely essential that members of communities that may be impacted by proposed standards provide input in this process.

Suggested comment areas for the ICARTT file format standards are attached.  The specification and supporting documents can also be found here:

http://www.esdswg.org/spg/rfc/esds-rfc-019/

Please send your comments before December 11 to

spg-rfc-019 at lists.nasa.gov

Thank you

Richard Ullman
For the SPG