[ESIP-all] Meeting Venues and Climate Change

James Frew frew at bren.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 5 17:01:27 EST 2014

I want to second Joshua's position.

In 1992 I was part of a multicampus research project with our own
private 45 Mbit network and handmade audio-video cards in our DEC Alpha
workstations (cutting-edge at the time; i.e. a modest fraction of an
iPhone...) We held weekly virtual meetings and quickly discovered a
fundamental law of videoconferencing: it works orders of magnitude
better if you know (as in, have been in the physical presence of) the
remote person. The way I explained it to people was (and is) that, even
if you're not saying anything or mugging fiercely, a little comic-book
balloon that says "BS" will form over your head when you sense it
getting deep, and if somebody *knows* you, that balloon is clearly
visible even at single-digit fps and truly miserable quantization.
Conversely, if you *don't* know someone, all the fidelity in the world
(or at least, that I've ever experienced) won't convey the subtle cues
that make a conversation really work.

My $2E-02,
/Frew