[ESIP-all] Save the Date – 4th NOAA Workshop on Leveraging AI in Environmental Sciences

Yuhan Douglas Rao yrao5 at ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 31 18:14:58 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of the NOAA Center for Artificial Intelligence, we are excited to
announce the 4th NOAA Workshop on Leveraging AI in Environmental Sciences
is scheduled for September 6–9, 2022.

The interactive workshop will be a virtual event to build collaboration and
initiate the active development of AI-powered applications and community
standards. We invite developers, data scientists, domain experts, social
scientists, and downstream users to form small teams around different use
cases that are relevant to three themes relevant to NOAA Mission Areas:

   -

   Fire Weather and Impacts: Fire weather sits at the intersection between
   terrestrial ecosystems, atmospheric systems, and society. The impacts of
   fire weather on communities in or near the path of fire progression can be
   disastrous both in the short and long term. How can we leverage AI and rich
   environmental data to develop solutions to help diverse stakeholders to
   better quantify and manage the impact of fire weather?

   -

   AI for Ocean Conservation: The ocean plays a crucial role in climate and
   the world’s sustainable development goals. AI has demonstrated great
   potential in ocean conservation, such as identifying wildlife, detecting
   marine debris, and monitoring illegal fishing. How can we proliferate AI
   development for ocean conservation by reducing the barrier of using
   state-of-the-art AI tools?

   -

   Interoperable Digital Twin Earth: Digital Twin Earth (DTE) is a digital
   representation of the complex Earth system that allows us to visualize,
   monitor, and forecast natural and human activity on the planet. As
   different agencies and organizations, including NOAA, NASA, ECMWF, and UK
   Met Office, start to develop various DTE systems, how can we develop an
   international standard to ensure digital twins are interoperable and easily
   integrated into other digital twin systems for different socioeconomic
   sectors?

To plan for resources for the workshop, we invite you to express your
interest using this Google form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdFNOHZe6b5sa5FcilHVLLz6ZIGiwqIdND0hdV9pqfvZ87z1g/viewform>.
Filling this form does NOT guarantee your participation in the workshop due
to technology and resource limitations. More information will be shared in
future announcements on the workshop application and selection process in
April 2022.

If you have any questions, please contact ai.workshop at noaa.gov. For more
information about NOAA Center for AI, please visit https://noaa.gov/AI.

Douglas Rao, Rob Redmon, Eric Kihn

on behalf of the 4th NOAA AI Workshop Planning Team

--
[image: NCICS] <http://ncics.org/> Yuhan (Douglas) Rao
*Research Scientist*
e: yrao5 at ncsu.edu