[ESIP-all] Project Phoenix: Investigating Bird Responses to Smoke

Olivia Sanderfoot osanderfoot at g.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 23 15:30:49 EDT 2023

Hello ESIP,

My name is Dr. Olivia Sanderfoot, and I am a postdoc at UCLA studying
impacts of wildfire smoke on birds. I am leading Project Phoenix
<http://projectphoenix.study>, a new community science program to
investigate bird responses to smoke in California. I thought our
interdisciplinary research would be of interest to the ESIP community, as
it intersects with the ongoing work of many ESIP Collaboration Areas.

We are inviting Californians to join us in observing birds in their
neighborhood for just *10 minutes a week. *We will use these observations
to learn more about how wildfire smoke impacts bird behavior and species
distributions, with the goal of identifying the places and resources birds
use during and after extreme smoke.

Collecting data
<https://www.project-phoenix-investigating-bird-responses-to-smoke.org/instructions>
 for Project Phoenix is easy! Folks pick where and when they'd like to
monitor birds. Once a week, volunteers survey birds for 10 minutes and
share their observations with us via eBird. *That's it!*

Project Phoenix is *open to all birders and bird enthusiasts* – *regardless
of previous birding experience*. We welcome and encourage beginner birders
to participate. We provide online resources on species identification
<https://www.project-phoenix-investigating-bird-responses-to-smoke.org/species-identification>
 and eBird
<https://www.project-phoenix-investigating-bird-responses-to-smoke.org/e-bird>,
and all volunteers are eligible to enroll in 5 free courses
<https://www.project-phoenix-investigating-bird-responses-to-smoke.org/online-courses>
from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Head to our website <http://projectphoenix.study> to learn more about our
new initiative. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share this email
with colleagues and friends based in California who might like to
participate. We are collecting data through the end of October, and
volunteers are welcome to sign up and start collecting data at any time,
even if there are only a few weeks left in our study.

Thank you, and happy birding!

Sincerely,
Olivia

***

Olivia V. Sanderfoot, Ph.D. (she/her/hers)

Postdoctoral Fellow
La Kretz Center for California Conservation Science
University of California, Los Angeles

Program Director
Project Phoenix

Research Associate