[ESIP-all] NSF CIVIC Innovation Challenge funding opportunity

Martin, Raleigh ramartin at nsf.gov
Fri Feb 2 15:39:08 EST 2024

Dear Colleagues,

National Science Foundation (NSF) has launched the third round of the Civic Innovation Challenge (CIVIC)<https://new.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/civic-innovation-challenge-civic> in partnership with the US Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Energy. CIVIC is a research and action competition that accelerates the transition to practice of foundational research and emerging technologies into communities through civic-engaged research. The program is interested in project ideas that go beyond the current state of practice and state-of-the-art, can be scaled and sustained within their pilot communities, and have potential for transfer across the US.

CIVIC is a two-stage competition:

  *   Stage 1 Planning Grants: 6-month at $75K per award. Deadline: May 1, 2024
  *   Stage 2 Full Awards: 12-months at up to $1M per award. Only open to Stage 1 recipients from this round of the CIVIC competition.

This round of CIVIC is centered around the following two tracks:

  1.  Track A. Climate and Environmental Instability - Building Resilient Communities through Co-Design, Adaption, and Mitigation
  2.  Track B. Bridging the Gap between Essential Resources and Services & Community Needs.

We have three asks for you as we launch the new solicitation for CIVIC:

  1.  We hope you will consider submitting a proposal.
  2.  We invite you, your colleagues, and community partners to participate in CIVIC as proposal reviewers. We will send a panelist survey through our listservs in the coming weeks. We hope to see strong representation across diverse research disciplines, local government, and local community organizations on the CIVIC review panels.
  3.  We are asking you to spread the word about CIVIC by sharing this solicitation with your contacts who may be interested in participating as proposers or reviewers.

Visit nsfcivicinnovation.org<https://nsfcivicinnovation.org/> to learn more about the program, including previous awards

Sign up for upcoming Program Webinars and Q&A sessions<https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/civic-innovation-challenge-civic> through the NSF program page

For questions about the program email civic at nsf.gov<mailto:civic at nsf.gov>

-
Raleigh L. Martin, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Program Director
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Directorate for Geosciences (GEO)
Division of Earth Sciences (EAR)
*Currently on 50% detail in the Division of Research, Innovation, Synergies, and Education (GEO/RISE)*
email: ramartin at nsf.gov<mailto:ramartin at nsf.gov>