[Esip-datareadiness] ESIP Data Readiness Cluster June Meeting Follow Up & Next Steps

Douglas Rao - NOAA Affiliate douglas.rao at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 25 17:53:10 EDT 2021

Dear all,

Thanks to those of you who attended our monthly meeting this month. It is
always a great discussion with the group with much constructive feedback
and things to think about for the cluster's work.

The recording of our meeting is available for you to watch in case you
missed the meeting -
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/9kcHTZnYPuGgQD6FYuHFv1c9FDpFQ0FqpoA_VMdhfFMhXilxXar58dqvsC2GXQ-L.yBpF7Qq3PX4lk9cr?startTime=1623258289000
.

Our discussion mainly focused on the example checklist that is championed
by Tyler (see the document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XqLNdKqOXTgmVoY1iLZQaX0dEg8TUUuZ7FnUvzOmFfg/edit>).
If you haven't got a chance to read it and provide your feedback, we invite
you to do so when you have time.

*Next steps*:
- We will use our ESIP Summer Meeting session to collect feedback on this
checklist via an interactive working session
<https://2021esipsummermeeting.sched.com/event/jMP9/ai-data-readiness-designing-a-community-driven-road-map-for-data-standards-and-tools>.
So we encourage you to put this on your ESIP meeting schedule.
- Meanwhile, we are collaborating with the NASA ESDS Data Interoperability
Working Group on another session around training datasets for ML
applications
<https://2021esipsummermeeting.sched.com/event/jMOx/ai-data-readiness-what-does-ml-training-data-interoperability-mean-to-you-examples-and-use-cases>.
Please consider adding it to your schedule as well!

*Relevant events & resources:*
- OGC recently set up a working group focused on sample markup language
standard development. You can learn more about their charter
<https://www.ogc.org/standards/requests/231?utm_source=phplist803&utm_medium=email&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign=OGC+seeks+public+comment+on+new+Sample+Markup+Language+for+Artificial+Intelligence+Machine+Learning+Standards+Working+Group+Charter>
.
- Recently, the White House launched the National AI Research Resource Task
Force
<https://www.ai.gov/the-biden-administration-launches-the-national-artificial-intelligence-research-resource-task-force/>
.
- NIST is currently seeking feedback on approaches to reduce the risk of
bias in AI
<https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2021/06/nist-proposes-approach-reducing-risk-bias-artificial-intelligence>
.

I will be visiting Maryland for the next two weeks and plan to meet some
ESIPers in person. If you want to talk about AI-ready data in person, let
me know!

Wish you all have a great weekend and (please stay cool if you live on the
west coast of the US)!

Best regards,
Douglas
--
Douglas Rao (he/him/his)
North Carolina State University <http://www.ncsu.edu>

douglas.rao at noaa.gov
+1.828.271.4903
Phone is currently not monitored during teleworking

"Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every
individual makes a difference.” – *Dr. Jane Goodall*