[Esip-dds] 02.28.13 DDS meeting summary

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 1 14:26:14 EST 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We had good attendance at the telecon yesterday and a lively discussion, but we did not end with a clear set of actions.  I posted a summary on the telecon wiki page.  And Sarah graciously took notes, which are also there: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php?title=Telecon_02.28.13_materials
>
> In particular:
>
> * We agreed to define a mission statement, here is a page to work on that: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Cluster_mission_statement
>
> * It was suggested that we convene a panel discussion at the summer meeting with representatives from various organizations and agencies to get their perspective on scope.  We can discuss that idea here: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Summer_2013_panel_discussion
>
> * How should we go forward with the literature review?
>
> Please see the wiki page for more complete information.  Thank you for your interest!

I'm trying to recover my password to the ESIP forum ... but the "Joe mentioned DDC (?) and JIST - reports on citations and other data aspects"

I might've screwed up the first part (DCC, Digital Curation Centre); the second one is JISC (Joint Informations System Committee).

Specifically, the data citation guide is:

	http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/how-guides/cite-datasets

(which has an extensive bibliography via their footnotes)

... and they also have other reports & manuals on writing data management plans, licensing, appraisal & selection, curation in general, etc:

	http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/how-guides/

... and links to a ton of other things:

	http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/

JISC has a list of projects & reports on various topics important to data centers ... infrastructure, preservation, curation, standards, staff development, legal/ethics, etc:

	http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo.aspx

JISC is UK based, but there are groups / programs in Canada and Australia that serve similar roles:

	http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/index.html

	http://ncris.innovation.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
	http://www.ands.org.au/

And associated reports and such:

	http://rds-sdr.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/index.html
	http://ncris.innovation.gov.au/KeyDocs/Pages/default.aspx

(and with all of those, we'd have a treasure trove of articles & reports related to data & managing it)

-Joe