[Esip-disasters] Invitation - Information Quality Cluster at Winter ESIP Meeting - today at 2pm eastern

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 12 11:32:36 EST 2017

Greetings from the ESIP Winter Meeting again –

I volunteered to represent the Disasters Lifecycle Cluster at this Information Cluster Session. So last night I looked through our conversations on Trusted Data last year and discovered that we didn’t really define it. Instead we discussed some characteristics, and built on its potential use in Data-Driven Decision Making. In a search for “define trusted data” I came across some ideas that I think will be useful for us and plan to share them on the cluster session panel at 2:00pm today. (See attached notes.) Your comments are welcome, however I hope we will be able to pursue our Trusted Data theme this year.

Karen

If you would like to join remotely, here’s the details.

Information Quality CLuster - Fostering Collaborations <https://2017esipwintermeeting.sched.com/event/9BKD/information-quality-cluster-fostering-collaborations#>

Thursday January 12, 2017 2:00pm - 3:30pm
White Flint Amphitheater<https://2017esipwintermeeting.sched.com/venue/White+Flint+Amphitheater>

  *
  *   Commons Link http://commons.esipfed.org/node/9508
  *   Check In Here imhere.esipfed.org/<http://imhere.esipfed.org/>
  *   Remote Participation Link global.gotomeeting.com/join/543496349<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/543496349>
  *   Remote Participation Access Code 543-496-349
  *   Remote Participation Phone # (872) 240-3311

Abstract/Agenda:

The goals of the Information Quality Cluster (IQC) as expressed in the Strategic Plan are: 1. Bring together people from various disciplines to assess aspects of quality of Earth science data; 2. Establish and publish baseline of standards and best practices for data quality for adoption by inter-agency and international data providers; and 3. Build a framework for consistent capture, harmonization, and presentation of data quality for the purposes of climate change studies, Earth science and applications. Moving towards these goals, the IQC has been collecting and evaluating use cases to help identify issues and analyze them to arrive at recommendations for improvements in capturing, describing, enabling discovery and facilitating use of data quality information. The purpose of this session will be to collaborate with other ESIP clusters whose primary emphasis is on utilization of Earth science data for research and applications. The purpose of the collaboration will be to answer questions such as: What type of quality information is needed for their applications? Are they easy to find? Are they complete and easy to understand? What level of data quality is important for their applications (what can they “get away with”? What improvements should be made in conveying quality information?

A brief introduction will be provided to familiarize new attendees with the IQC. Brief presentations will be made by invited panelists from other ESIP clusters such as the Disaster Lifecycle Cluster and Agriculture and Climate Cluster representing data users’ perspectives, and a panelist from the data provider community. The presentation will be followed by a discussion period to identify gaps and approaches to filling the gaps and addressing issues.

Agenda:

  *   Introduction to Information Quality Cluster and Status - David Moroni - 8 minutes
  *   Panelist Presentations (Total of 32 minutes)
     *   Agriculture and Climate Cluster - Jeff Campbell (USDA) - 8 minutes
     *   Disaster Lifecycle Cluster - Karen Moe (NASA/GSFC) - 8 mintues
     *   CEOS/WGCV Land Product Validation - Pierre Guillevic (U of MD) - 8 minutes
     *   Obs4MIPS - Robert Ferraro (JPL) - 8 minutes
  *   Discussion - 50 minutes