[Esip-disasters] ESIP Disasters Cluster telecom Thursday 12/6/18 - 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 4 14:59:34 EST 2018

Please join our telecom at our regular 1st Thursday of the month. We will be discussing plans for the January 2019 ESIP Winter Meeting. Below please find the draft agenda topics and abstract for the Disasters session, and links to the Nov. 15 ESIP Webinar “Managing Disasters Through Improved Data-Driven Decision-Making”
Hope you can join us!
Karen and Dave, Co-chairs

Thursday, December 6
4:00pm
 Disaster Lifecycle
WhenThu, December 6, 4pm – 5pm ET
Wherehttps://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765
DescriptionPlease join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (872) 240-3311 Access Code: 691-265-765
more details»<https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=ZGdpYmRmaTl2ZW9vbDk0Y3RnZTFyZmU1N2tfMjAxODEyMDZUMjEwMDAwWiBzYjljbm1ha25xcHNpZnM3dHRuOWtzb2J1MEBn&ctz=America/New_York>  copy to my calendar<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/0/event?action=TEMPLATE&hl=en&text=Disaster%20Lifecycle&dates=20181206T160000%2F20181206T170000&location=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gotomeeting.com%2Fjoin%2F691265765&ctz=America%2FNew_York&details=Please%20join%20my%20meeting%20from%20your%20computer%2C%20tablet%20or%20smartphone.%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.gotomeeting.com%2Fjoin%2F691265765%0A%0AYou%20can%20also%20dial%20in%20using%20your%20phone.%0A%0AUnited%20States%3A%20%2B1%20%28872%29%20240-3311%0A%0AAccess%20Code%3A%20691-265-765>

Please help us capture notes on our google docs page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit?usp=sharing

Agenda

  *   ESIP Winter Meeting plans for the Disasters Cluster session:  Maturing the Operational Readiness Level – ORL Framework for Disasters Applications (currently planned for Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 16 from 4-5:30pm.
  *   Potential topics/talks (some of these could be planned for our monthly web meetings in 2019)
     *   Highlights of Disaster cluster activities in 2018 (what we accomplished, collaborations & partners, also an ESIP cluster poster is planned) (10 min)
     *   Talk by Carola Kaiser/LSU on real-time storm surge mapping products for potential contribution to disasters (an example of examining potential new earth science products for the disasters community) (10-15 min)
  *   Talks about ORL and need to communicate value of trusted data to end users
     *   Remarks by Greg McShane/DHS National Infrastructure Coordinating Center on community/private sector involvement and how ORLs support NICC objectives (10 min)
     *   Follow up on the need for disaster terminology & vocabularies for different communities to improve communication of trusted data; possibly invite Sophie Huo/NCAR and ESIP’s Usability cluster for ideas on how to proceed (this could be a separate telecom meeting) (10 min)
  *   Talks to help cross-walk ORL with other efforts to communicate data value to end users
     *   Talk on Analysis Ready Data (ARD) at Landsat to compare with ORL approach to trusted data for disasters applications (seek speaker from USGS, going through LP DACC or ESIP contacts) (10 min)
     *   Talk by Phil Beilin or Maggi Glasscoe on the Earthquake Clearinghouse Request Form developed to help emergency managers request sensor data products (10 min)
     *   Potential feedback from the OGC on the 2018 workshops on community input on Disasters interoperability concept study reports (10 min)
     *   Overview of the Maturity Matrix concept and status (mentioned by Bob Downs/CEISIN) (10 min)
  *   Discussion on where we go from here, how to leverage / collaborate with groups doing related work

Disasters Lifecycle Cluster Session at the ESIP Winter Meeting, Wednesday, Jan 16 from 4:00 – 5:30 pm ET

Maturing the Operational Readiness Level – ORL Framework for Disasters Applications

The Disasters Lifecycle cluster in collaboration with the All Hazards Consortium developed initial ORLs with the electric utilities, and is now “operationalizing” ORLs for data-driven decision-making support to improve situational awareness. The criteria for the ORLs and a flowchart assessment tool, exercised by the AHC team at Duke Energy for response to the 2018 Hurricane Florence, proved very useful. The initial ORL criteria were defined for the electric sector’s use to transport work crews and restore power after destructive storms. However the usability criteria is expected to change for different disaster scenarios. Some factors may go across many use cases for many applications, such as security criteria that is key to establishing trust. However other factors are driven by the use case to address latency or resolution criteria. Work continues on refining strategies and criteria for assessing candidate datasets for specific operational use cases, and maturing the ORL concept as a Framework for different applications.

During this session we plan to address the issue of terminology to seek a common vocabulary relevant to various disasters application, leveraging what we’ve learned from the electric utility sector. We also would like to examine the ORL assessment tool and how the current ORL criteria are applied and look for gaps and lessons learned. The goal is to refine a framework strategy enabling the ORL concept to be applied to other disasters applications.

Disasters Lifecycle Cluster contribution to the ESIP Socioeconomic Value of Earth Observations Webinar Series, Nov 15, 2018

Managing disasters through improved data-driven decision-making

Here is the link to the 1 hour video: https://youtu.be/VcYetkr6L9w

Here is the publication citation: Moe, Karen; Moran, Tom; Jones, Dave; Hicks, Kari Hicks; Glasscoe, Margaret; Virapongse, Arika (2018): Managing disasters through improved data-driven decision-making. ESIP. Presentation. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.7361327.v1

Both of these links have been added to the description document for the webinar: goo.gl/f7qSHM