[Esip-discovery] time for new challenges?

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 19 13:46:38 EST 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Ruth Ellen Duerr wrote:

> OK, so I have to weigh in here.  This is after all the whole point of service casting hooked to data and the Libre project in general.  I think we made huge strides in this area over the last couple of years.  Yes there are a few issues - crawl frontier management and the data equivalent of page rank being the major issues; but other than that we have demonstrated the ability to find getCapabilities docs, OSDD's, web enabled folders, OAI-PMH catalogs, etc. wherever they are on the web.  And building a Google for data is a major interest of mine.  I've even come up with what I think could be that killer app - though I am totally uninterested in starting a startup, even if Boulder is a hub for doing that (yes, it is a cheap for pay kind of idea).

The issue is not exactly just a Google for data.  It's how do you make the web application come up prominently in the current Google search, which mixes websites, portals, pages, etc.

It is possible that servicecasting combined with data casting might raise the profile, though. But are they more findable for someone that does not know exactly what to look for?

> So, yes this is a good topic; but it is one we are already addressing albeit very slowly in the Discovery cluster.
>
> Ruth
>
> On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:37 AM, "Ramirez, Paul M (388J)" <paul.m.ramirez at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Seems like a worthy and tractable cause to help those within the
>> organization to understand how to increase the visibility of their web
>> applications and sites. One of the first steps could be to understand how
>> a search engine views an application or site. For this there are already a
>> large variety of tools[1][2][3]. These tools of course are just a portion
>> of the solution but could help frame the problem. That said, is this an
>> ESIP level issue or more at the level of each organization? Moreover, it
>> seems as though understanding one's web presence is one of an ongoing task
>> as it would evolve as the search engines evolve and as we bring online
>> more web applications. Anyhow just some thoughts, I'm all for supporting
>> an activity gets exposure for the great applications that have already
>> been built.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul Ramirez
>> Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>> (818) 354-1015
>>
>> [1] https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en&pli=1
>> [2] http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=158587
>> [3] http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/
>>

>> On 12/19/12 5:58 AM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)"
>> <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is one not obviously related to OpenSearch...Faisal Hossain (this
>>> year's winner of the Falkenberg!) wrote an editorial in BAMS lamenting
>>> the difficulty of discovering useful web applications (e.g., Giovanni)
>>> via major search engines by the applications data content:
>>> http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/BAMS-D-12-00035.1
>>>
>>> Hook and I have talked with Microsoft, and indirectly with Google, and
>>> there appears to be no quick and easy silver bullet.
>>>
>>> This problem appears to be widespread, not just Giovanni. Is this
>>> something the Discovery Cluster should tackle?
>>> --
>>> Dr. Christopher Lynnes, NASA/GSFC, ph: 301-614-5185

Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185