[Esip-discovery] List of web services that could use work

Ruth Ellen Duerr rduerr at Colorado.EDU
Thu Apr 16 17:39:37 EDT 2015

HI Chris,

I guess I am using subsetting as in “returning part of” which typically at the granule level you are "returning part of a data set”.  I do agree that some sub-setters serialize the results as files but that not all do.   I also note that some granule level opensearches do return the results as a single file even if there are several granules involved.

I guess I don’t understand hyrax and threads well enough to distinguish the different cases we are seeing in the data - I was just going off the list of what we found (and how that was labeled).

It is conceivable to me that the terms I used need to be refined based on larger community perceptions (i.e., not just your and my perceptions).

I will note that I plan on using whatever set of terms the community agrees on in an ontology of web service profiles in the Earth Sciences, so I would prefer discussion on these terms sooner rather than later.

Ruth

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ruth Duerr
Data Stewardship and Informatics Lead
National Snow and Ice Data Center
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Science
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
(303) 735-0136
rduerr at nsidc.org