[Esip-discovery] [EXTERNAL] Re: Presentation for AGU

Blythe, Jonathan N Jonathan.Blythe at boem.gov
Wed Oct 21 08:11:24 EDT 2020

It looks good to me too.

We kicked around the idea of a joint session at ESIP winter meeting, 2021 with the citation cluster.  Mark, are you already submitting a session topic, and might we work together on a joint one?

We also have some business with the semantics cluster, so we could invite citations cluster to participate in an open for all session of the discovery cluster - and offer the opportunity to give a lightning talk on the citations challenge.

Specifically with regard to the wireframe and the applications citing source datasets, it makes most sense to me to consider this within an "application lifecycle."  Data use should be evaluated by the application developers after the tool has been delivered - maybe as part of their key performance metrics.  On the scale that earth science operates, I think it's much more practical to use manual processes instead of automation, but that is just me.  There is a role for technology, but it's got to be tightly coordinated within the way that applications are designed and built.