[Esip-discovery] [EXTERNAL] Re: Presentation for AGU

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-5860) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 21 08:45:35 EDT 2020

Mark,

Yes, the point on “dataset citations” (vs…dataset identification?) is well taken. I myself vacillate back and forth. On the one hand, we need the identification of datasets to enable the basic discovery process.

OTOH, there are other potential benefits from this database of relationships, such as acknowledging the reuse of prior art (i.e., the input data products), enabling reproducibility and formal provenance that nudge me over toward the citation camp.  It might make for an interesting discussion…
—
Christopher Lynnes   NASA/GSFC    mobile: 410-231-4573
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” A. de St. Exupery