[Esip-envirosensing] Reminder: Envirosensing cluster telecon tomorrow, Tuesday, March 5, 5:00 pm EST

Connor Scully-Allison cscully-allison at nevada.unr.edu
Mon Mar 4 18:13:41 EST 2019

 Dear Envirosensors,

Tomorrow we have an invited talk from Matt Bartos on his recently published
work: "Windshield wipers on connected vehicles produce high-accuracy
rainfall maps." So, please join us tomorrow to hear an interesting talk and
support the fantastic research being undertaken by our own Matt Bartos at
the University of Michigan.

Paper abstract:

Connected vehicles are poised to transform the field of environmental
sensing by enabling acquisition of scientific data at unprecedented scales.
Drawing on a real-world dataset collected from almost 70 connected
vehicles, this study generates improved rainfall estimates by combining
weather radar with windshield wiper observations. Existing methods for
measuring precipitation are subject to spatial and temporal uncertainties
that compromise high-precision applications like flash flood forecasting.
Windshield wiper measurements from connected vehicles correct these
uncertainties by providing precise information about the timing and
location of rainfall. Using co-located vehicle dashboard camera footage, we
find that wiper measurements are a stronger predictor of binary rainfall
state than traditional stationary gages or radar-based measurements. We
introduce a Bayesian filtering framework that generates improved rainfall
estimates by updating radar rainfall fields with windshield wiper
observations. We find that the resulting rainfall field estimate captures
rainfall events that would otherwise be missed by conventional
measurements. We discuss how these enhanced rainfall maps can be used to
improve flood warnings and facilitate real-time operation of stormwater
infrastructure.

*Telecon Info*:
To join, go to https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693

You can also dial in using your phone: 646-749-3122; access code 895-837-693

*Agenda for February, 5 2019 (times in EST)*:
Welcome and Introductions - 5:00 pm (5 min)
Guest Presenter - Matt Bartos, Windshield wipers on connected vehicles
produce high-accuracy rainfall maps - (15 min)
Q&A - (10 minutes)
General cluster topics/updates - 15minutes

Cheers from Renée, Scotty, and Connor.