[Esip-envirosensing] Lake temperature sensors

Skawinski, Paul pskawins at uwsp.edu
Wed Jun 19 12:05:35 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

For those of you with volunteers that collect water temperature profiles on lakes, what kind of sensors/protocols do your volunteers use? We had been using a custom-made box and cable (lengths ranging from 30-100ft) created by an engineering firm in California, but they are not making these units or comparable units anymore. We have been building a couple of prototypes of homemade units using parts ordered online, but I am also still exploring other ready-made options. The homemade units are working well so far and will be cheaper than our previous units, but will take a substantial amount of time to solder wires and assemble the boxes. I would be very interested in learning about other units that are used around the country so I can explore all our available options.

Thanks!

Paul Skawinski
Coordinator - Wisconsin Citizen Lake Monitoring Network
UW-Extension Lakes Program
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
800 Reserve St. - TNR231
Stevens Point, WI 54481