[Esip-preserve] Townhall abstract

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Fri Aug 14 12:25:16 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

Here's a cut at an abstract. It is exactly 100 words, so any edits
cannot make it longer.

Peter, I don't really know where to justify our Monday request, but I
note: To ensure broad interdisciplinary input, we request the meeting
be scheduled for Monday evening.

Cheers,

-m.

Peer-reviewed data publication and other strategies to sustain
verifiable science.

Objective, verifiable science requires formal, reviewed publication of
data and research results. Data publication contributes to many
necessary scientific processes including transparency,
reproducibility, documentation of uncertainty, and preservation. The
AGU Council reaffirmed this fundamental responsibility in a new
position statement (http://www.agu.org/outreach/science_policy/positions/geodata.shtml
).

Nonetheless, data publication lacks established cultural practice for
modern data volumes and complexity. This townhall will briefly present
the AGU position statement and some evolving data publication
practice. We then seek input from all disciplines on modern approaches
for data peer-review and peer-recognition, citation, and other
verification practices. The Federation of Earth Science Information
Partners will publish discussion results.