[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Geoscience Data Journal

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Tue Jan 24 12:12:14 EST 2012

On 01/23/2012 05:39 PM, Mark A. Parsons wrote:
> This sounds like a topic for the Stewardship Committee. I copy the
> chairs. Personally, I'm not a big fan of these data journals, but
> they do serve a purpose. We should also consider Earth System
> Science Data journal.
>
> On 23 Jan 2012, at 8:39 AM, Erin Robinson wrote:
>
>> Mark, very well-timed.  I was listening to the data management
>> short course with Ruth at ams this weekend and she mentioned
>> dataset advertisement as a community need. Do you think there would
>> be interest in ESIP co-sponsoring or providing editors to this data
>> journal? Or maybe it could be an ESIP special edition?

I currently have "Data Citations" listed as a Preservation activity.

Perhaps we should broaden that to "Data Publication", which includes
things like data identifiers and data citations?  Or even just add
"Data Publication" as its own "activity".

We've had a number of discussions in this area -- perhaps we could be
capture some of that and gel into some "recommended practices", at
least capture stuff like "journals you might consider when publishing
a new data set" onto a wiki page.

It would be nice to use the data stewardship and citations papers as a
start of a "good dataset criteria" checklist, capturing the sort of
stuff archives look for when they negotiate with data creators to
establish a new dataset.

Several of the data management course modules also go into this sort
of thing, choosing an archive, organizing your data, identifiers,
citations, etc.

Curt