[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Geoscience Data Journal

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:50:30 EST 2012

There's a new paper on making and recognizing that the claims
made regarding a data collection are well grounded.  It's in the
Communications of the ACM: Denning, P., 2012: The Grounding
Practice: The skill of making and recognizing grounded claims
is essential for professional practice.  Getting objective data to
support your conclusions is not enough., CACM, Vol. 54, No. 12,
pp.38-40.

Basically, Denning notes that "A claim is a statement that asserts
something is true.  A grounded claim is a claim accompanied by
sufficient, relevant supporting evidence." [p. 38]  While we usually
accept a journal peer review of a paper as being a grounded claim,
it is not very clear to me that a DOI or other unique identifier has
sufficient evidence to support a claim of data validity.  In some cases,
such as the data underlying weather forecasts or warnings, there
is clearly insufficient time to allow peer review (taking six months to
a year to provide peer review of these data would render them
valueless).  In other cases, the peer review that we generally rely
on as grounds for accepting the validity of a claim regarding data
would need to examine the code and various intercomparisons,
which could require a huge investment on the part of the reviewers.

Bruce B.