[Esip-preserve] DataCite to require "landing pages"

Greg Janée gjanee at eri.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 29 17:12:25 EST 2012

The problem I have with DataCite's new requirement is that it
precludes using a DOI for anything other than the one use case of
"someone reading a paper who then wants to follow up on a reference."
I argue there are other use cases.  For example, for "the user who
already knows about the data," why should that person not have the
benefits of persistent identification of datasets and granules?

Actually, I should rephrase the above.  I don't have a problem with
DataCite; I just think they're taking themselves out of the identifier
marketplace.  The persistent identifiers that point to data just won't
be DOIs.

-Greg