[Esip-preserve] Adding learning resource metadata to Data Management training modules

Nancy Hoebelheinrich nhoebel at kmotifs.com
Tue Jan 14 16:07:01 EST 2014

Hello, all:

As I've mentioned in Data Stewardship meetings before, I've been working
with Erin to add some other metadata terms to the Drupal template for
Educational Modules content type on the ESIP Commons in which the Data
Management training modules have been added that members of the Data
Stewardship Committee created.  These terms are either additional terms that
are part of Schema.org's CreativeWork properties or part of the Learning
Resource Metadata Initiative's (LRMI:  http://www.lrmi.net/ ) extension that
were approved and added in mid-2013.  The addition of metadata to these
terms should increase the rate at which the DMT modules are accessed and
hopefully used by Google, Yahoo & Yandex searchers.

Question 1:   I am seeking feedback on these additions.  Note:  I am
planning to add the metadata to the 32 modules that we currently have.

To view the BEFORE and AFTER, please compare the current landing page for
module 735 on the ESIP Commons at:  http://commons.esipfed.org/node/735 and
the extracted structured data results from Google's Richsnippets Structured
Data Testing Tool (http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets ) for
this node found in the attached PDF on page 1  (BEFORE);  and

the landing page for module 728 at:  http://commons.esipfed.org/node/728 and
the extracted structured data results on pages 2 & 3 .  [Note:  I've
excerpted the results from the Google tools for the sake of brevity].

Question 2:  I'm also going to check into the feasibility of doing a BEFORE
and AFTER assessment of a landing page / module or two in terms of Google
Analytics.  If anyone has experience with doing this, or suggestions for
metrics, I'd be happy to hear them.  I'd also welcome anyone who wants to
work with me on this task.  Thanks!

Nancy

 <https://kmotifs.com/> _LOGOhiResTRANSPARENT_4800pxRGB

Nancy J. Hoebelheinrich