[Esip-schema-dot-org] [EXT] CF Standard Names and Zenodo

Kai Blumberg kblumberg at email.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 29 07:40:07 EDT 2020

Great questions Kevin I'm not familiar with how zenodo handles it's data
submissions, unfortunately due to a lack of standards and many different
ways of doing things data repositories like pangaea, zenodo and dryad all
kind of do things their own way. Pangaea for example just makes new
parameters based on the columns in submitted spreadsheets. From what I can
tell Zenodo seems to do the same (not using controlled metadata, but rather
just the column headers coming from the wild).

My understanding is that CF terms are a controlled vocabulary that is built
to work within the netCDF file format which certain disciplines use for
data exchange. But I don't think that CF terms have unique identifiers like
by IRIs the way SWEET or OBO ontologies do, so I don't imagine there is a
standardized way to use their terms (or terms from any vocab) with Zenodo,
but I certainly can't speak for them so perhaps they would be the people to
ask directly.

Speaking for BCODMO we are currently transitioning to a new standardized
vocabulary (which I am helping to build) which is based on the NERC
vocabulary P01, as well as OBO ontologies. It'll be a hybrid of the who
where we use a model phrase similar to the NERC P01 model, but use
individual terms, e.g. 'seawater' from Ontologies like ENVO.

I think the sad reality is that metadata in a global sense is just a messy
wild west of many different repos and vocabs which are inconsistently
misused and abused in any possible weird fashion. My advice, pick some
vocabs that work for your discipline(s), improve them if you can and or
convince others to allow their use in some sort of standardized way.

Sorry for the bleak pronouncement.
Kai