[esip-semantictech] Issue when attempting to re-publish Ontology in ESIP Testbed Ontology Portal

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 27 02:18:09 EDT 2016

Hi Lewis, sorry for the slow reply.

I am explicitly copying my colleague, Carlos Rueda, as well as creating tickets in the COR repository for some of these issues. (The issues repository for the baseline COR software is https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues, and you are also welcome to add directly.)

I suspect the SPARQL portal is not correctly configured; we will verify this and let you know when fixed. (https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/63). Ah! Carlos has already updated my entry:
> cor.esipfed.org/sparql *is* indeed the programmatic SPARQL endpoint, not a UI.
>
> For the UI, go to  http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/sparql <http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/sparql> (which is linked to in the "search terms" option in the main portal UI, http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/
I just verified the ont/sparql link works, once you find the big right arrow at the right of the screen.

The web page at your footnote [2] doesn’t point to any documentation (yet); arguably it should. Arguably there should be a full page in the Semantic Committee’s area that references both the existing portals, describes them, and points to the most appropriate and current information about each.

The most up-to-date info on the COR deployment is at the moment in multiple places. We recognize this is a serious problem, but moved rather quickly to put COR into place for the summer meeting, and so our happy surprise by the quick interest means we are not quite up to speed with getting the transition documentation cleaned up. (Issue https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/64)

The specific places you can go for now:
- The best starting point is probably http://esipfed.github.io/cor/ <http://esipfed.github.io/cor/>,  which provides an overview and some useful links, including to help documents
- For the ‘latest’ documentation, which is not yet current but is being improved in coming weeks, see https://mmisw.github.io/mmiorr-docs/
- For 3 recent screencasts covering basic information about the COR and its usage, please see the links at the bottom of http://esipfed.org/node/9301
- For clean information about the previous version of the software (still active at MMI’s ORR, http://mmisw.org/orr), see https://marinemetadata.org/mmiorrusrman
  - Much of this original documentation applies in terms of features still supported in the new site;
  - but much has been changed also, so an issue entry (or email to Carlos) is the best path for definitive information
- For information about the deployment process to move the software to ESIP, visit https://github.com/esipfed/cor

I hope this is useful for you in the near term, and again apologies for the trouble.  Please continue to contact this list with issues, or put them directly on the orr-portal issues page <https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues>.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com