[esip-semantictech] [datadiscovery] Moving on with publishing schema.org as JSON-LD for the sciences

lewismc lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 29 23:16:50 EST 2019

Over on the ESIP side a number of community members have been making progress on the development of a geosci.schema.org extension to schema.org which is intended to adequately describe both science Data Repositories and Datasets. This grew out of the P418 NSF EarthCube project [0] and is now being developed at [1].
At the ESIP Winter Meeting in early January, members discussed our strategy for community growth and subsequent development efforts aimed at advancing the geosci.schema.org extension. We are very keen to involve the RDA Data Discovery community in this process and would very much value community review of the content at [1].
We understand that the RDA Data Discovery strategy as outlined by Fotis a few months back is very much aligned with the geosci.schema.org effort so we hope progressing the issue will be mutually beneficial for both our communities.
Right now, the most important thing is that we can initiate more sincere community review of the guidelines available at [1]. If RDA Data Discovery is able to aid in that process it would be excellent.
Thanks
Lewis

[0] https://github.com/earthcubearchitecture-project418/p418Vocabulary
[1] https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.
Data Scientist II
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099