[Esip-soil-informatics] Oct 20 recap

Todd-Brown, Kathe kathe.toddbrown at essie.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 21 11:29:48 EDT 2021

We had a lively introduction with some excellent leads on current workshops and opportunities in soil-related informatics (see notes document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_SIm_3e9xpni_64zdAU1DZrFEd8YcIerbsihDJq4qwY/edit?usp=sharing ).

Bhavna updated us on the Critical Zone Network-of-Networks (see https://youtu.be/BAk50R7K8go ) and how they are developing an international community through workshops and seminars centered around critical zone observatory sites. One of their sticky points is data and how to make data sets from one site/center comparable to a second.

Finally we ran way over time talking about how to move forward with a paper, seminar series or hackathon to evaluate the current semantic tools for soil annotations. Watch the slack channel for follow ups on this!

We don’t currently have a speaker lined up for next month so if you know of anyone you would like to hear talk on efforts related to soil informatics we have room!

See you next month!
-Kathe T-B

---------
Katherine Todd-Brown, PhD
she/they

Assistant Professor
Environmental Engineering Sciences
Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
University of Florida

Office: Rm B006, Phelps Lab, UF main campus
Twitter: @KatheMathBio

Mail: Dr Kathe Todd-Brown
Center for Wetlands
PO Box 116350