[ESIP-ResearchArtifactCitation] Some other ESIP work: Funding Friday Project titled Identifying ESIP

Ted Habermann ted at metadatagamechangers.com
Mon Apr 10 10:34:51 EDT 2023

Thanks very much for pointing this out. I corrected the link to point to the same blog on metadatagamechangers.com <http://metadatagamechangers.com/>. All of my blogs are now on that site. Many of them describe various aspects of identifier adoption in Earth Science repositories. Still a long way to go in general.

It is important to remember that this blog was written during March 2019, over four years ago. Nevertheless, it remains true that ORCIDs are the most difficult identifier to find in published journal articles. Too many publishers focus on identifying only corresponding authors, typically one / article. Of course this means that most authors never get connected to their papers in tools like DataCite Commons. Unfortunately, it is difficult to add ORCIDs to these papers retrospectively.

Tracking awards from funders is an interesting problem that I have also done some work <https://metadatagamechangers.com/blog/2022/2/2/funder-metadata-identifiers-and-award-numbers> on. Developing a new identifier to track awards seems might distract GSA from taking effective advantage of current tools…

Thanks again,
Ted

Dr. Ted Habermann
Metadata Game Changers <http://metadatagamechangers.com/>