[Esip-sample-curation] News and Summary from this months meetings

Sarah Ramdeen sramdeen at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 28 21:33:32 EDT 2021

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to those of you who were able to join today's call, in particular
our new attendees/members.  We had a great discussion about the journal
guidelines and have some good ideas about next steps.  See summary below
(someone correct me if I get any details wrong!).

At the end of the email I have included a number of upcoming events that
are relevant to this community and may be of interest to you.  The upcoming
RDA-ESIP webinar will be the last one of the year.  We will be pausing the
series until early next year due to the upcoming conference/holiday season.

Finally, expect an email later this month to revisit our meeting time.
Given changes to daylight savings, our current meeting time may be
difficult for our members in Europe and Australia.  It would be good to
revisit the time and see if it still works for everyone.

Thanks!
Sarah

*Journal Guidelines*
*Short term*
We began today's meeting by reviewing the outline Joan created
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QJ9V9lFrcQ_TRgePZbURRpPM4BT_Lkt--PuOs_jzSm8/edit?usp=sharing>
from the Summer ESIP Session Breakout discussions.  Our original plan was
to highlight items we felt were a necessity to include over in the draft
structure
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A9Y2L4NjhNcGBDDP6MAyOQM6Iq5IPX9CuCNJa8zVo1g/edit?usp=sharing>.
We identified some gaps (concepts that were too high level/needed
clarification) and added some notes.  We will continue this effort in the
next meeting, and once that review is complete, we recommend reviewing
the previous
cluster brainstorming effort
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12gvco8I-VYB66TRqbNS8pa0gv200fViRPf13ZdCnuXE/edit?usp=sharing>
with
the same process.  Then once we have key items, we will begin to work them
into the draft structure (which will help us determine the best methods for
presentation).

*Long term*
We also discussed plans for the review process and how to move forward in
publishing or receiving ESIP endorsement on the final version.  We will
look to have a [sample] community review, before then asking
representatives from COPDESS <http://www.copdess.org/> to review it (and we
may engage them in the creation stage as well). Once that process is
complete, we will submit it to ESIP for review.  Then we can shop it around
to publishers and the broader community for adoption (with priority on AGU,
EGU, and COPDESS).

*Upcoming events*
Next RDA-ESIP Physical Samples webinar  (Registration free)

   - Supporting Interdisciplinary Sample Data Discovery, Integration, and
   Reuse
   <https://www.rd-alliance.org/ps-interdisciplinarysampledata-October-webinar>

   - October 7th at 20:00 UTC (4pm ET)

Other events

   - KBase Webinars
   <https://www.kbase.us/explore-environmental-data-in-depth-with-kbase/>
   (Registration free)
      - Introducing Samples in KBase
      <https://lbnl.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEkceGsrzouE9yahpjWq4QKJxU8DK3pNMUP>
      – September 29
      - Samples & Amplicon Analysis in KBase
      <https://lbnl.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwqd-2srDsiHd3ZURTkbVIxbIU2-xz4quGk>
      – October 13
   - SciDataCon <https://www.scidatacon.org/virtual-2021/programme/>
   October 18th to 28th (Registration free)
      - Celebrating a decade of making material samples FAIR and Open:
      where to next? <https://www.scidatacon.org/virtual-2021/sessions/349/>
   - RDA Plenary
   <https://www.rd-alliance.org/rdas-18th-plenary-meeting-programme>
   November 3rd-11th (Fee based registration)
      - Sample Identifier and Metadata Practices/Tools to Enable
      Interdisciplinary Sample Data Discovery, Integration, and Reuse Across
      Multiple Data Systems
      <https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenaries/rda-18th-plenary-meeting-virtual/sample-identifier-and-metadata-practicestools-enable>

--
Dr. Sarah Ramdeen